Moms wear many hats: homework helper, meal planner, chauffeur and family manager. But often overlooked is the crucial role a mom plays in keeping kids safe from household dangers such as fire hazards. No one knows this better than M2Moms® lunch keynote speaker and actress Holly Robinson Peete, a mother of four who is not only engaged in her own children’s lives, but with kids across the country through her foundation, which is dedicated to providing physical and emotional support to children and their families.  This October, Fire Prevention Month, Peete is partnering with Liberty Mutual Insurance to educate and encourage parents, especially moms, to pay special attention to fire prevention safety within the home through videos and tips on http://www.BeFireSmart.com, an online resource where moms and kids can learn together.  According to a recent Liberty Mutual poll, 84 percent of parents admitted they do not frequently discuss fire safety with their children. To facilitate the discussion Liberty Mutual created http://www.BeFireSmart.com a fun, interactive site designed for parents, children and teachers.  The site provides information on the proper use of smoke alarms and fire extinguishers, tips to prevent fires from sources such as candles and clothes dryers as well as helpful hints on mapping out fire escape plans (27% of Americans admit they do not have a fire escape plan). The site also offers fast, fun and interactive games in the children’s section as well as a coloring book and story that they can download – which teaches kids never to hide from a firefighter during a fire. Additionally the site offers classroom lesson plans for teachers.  “We celebrate moms and the role they often play as household safety leader,” says Greg Gordon, Liberty Mutual senior vice president, Consumer Marketing. “We hope that with the help of Holly Robinson Peete and the interactive activities and resources available at BeFireSmart.com, we will help make their jobs easier by providing them with the tools their families need to be safe and avoid fire tragedies in their home.”

Advertisements